Job Title: Director of Children’s Ministries
Position Status: Full-Time
The Director of Children’s Ministries gives vision and leadership to ways we can nurture and teach our children in the faith and develops and oversees programs that help children grow into healthy followers of Jesus. This includes developing effective systems, compelling programs, and equipping teachers and caregivers to provide a fun and safe environment for children. The Director oversees children’s ministry (infant – 5th graders), which currently averages 100 children for Sunday services, and a smaller number of children for weekday ministry programs.
The Director will work alongside other ministry team leaders and volunteers to build programs and systems designed to support healthy families. The ideal candidate for this position has a passion for, and experience working with children, and possesses qualities necessary for this position such as spiritual maturity, flexibility, strong organizational and communication skills as well as the ability to maintain, build and cultivate a team of volunteers and paid caregivers.
Gifts & Expected Character Qualities
- A mature follower of Christ; exhibits the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23)
- Demonstrates a heart for God and a love for people (Matt 22: 37-40)
- High level of integrity, and “above reproach” lifestyle, personally and professionally
- Displays excellent interpersonal skills, humility, and leadership ability
- Effectively leads and builds teams, and serves collaboratively as a part of a team
- Is or will become an active member of Christ Church
- Embraces the core values of Christ Church, as well as the following leadership values expected of all staff: catalytic, fun-loving, hard-working, perpetually learning, relational, and risk-taking
Responsibilities and Duties
Oversee Children’s Ministry
- Give leadership, vision and operational oversight to all children’s ministry activities and programming. This includes Sunday programming, weekday childcare for bible studies and small groups, and special events for infants through 5th graders
- Conduct a smooth administrative operation through effective communication, equipment and supply management, departmental budget supervision, and employee administration in coordination with the church administrative staff
- Communicate proactively with parents, cast vision and provide information regarding children’s programming, upcoming events, and any challenges that may arise
- Develop, communicate, implement and maintain policies, procedures and safety standards governing paid caregivers and volunteers
- Track attendance, understand and respond to trends, proactively anticipate and communicate needs for additional resources
Develop and Manage Childcare Workers & Volunteers
- Recruit, train, and pastor a team of children’s ministry volunteers who shepherd our children, help organize special events, and partner together to accomplish the church’s vision and strategy among our children
- Manage team of hired caregivers to staff the nursery, weekday childcare, and special events. This includes recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, maintaining adequate workforce, and cultivating positive team culture
- Recruit, equip and supervise additional paid ministry leaders as needed to help manage care, logistics, and materials for small group childcare and special events
- Help ensure all childcare workers and volunteers have completed child safety training/certification requirements, and adhere to policies and procedures
Oversee Sunday and Weekday Childcare for Nursery and Kid’s Quest (K-5th graders)
- Review, develop, communicate and implement age-appropriate curriculum
- Manage and supervise care givers ensuring kids are engaged and a warm, safe, fun Christ-centered environment
- Oversee, manage, and supervise onsite and offsite weekday childcare as needed. The Director’s on-site presence is not required when caregivers can be present who are trained and empowered team leaders
- Shepherd and oversee program on Sunday mornings at both services
- Organize appreciation and recognition for volunteers
Plan and Oversee Childcare for Special Events
- Create and implement children’s programming for special events
- Plan, recruit and/or staff, and oversee children’s ministry for special events including Vacation Bible School (Summer), Annual Parish Retreat (Fall), Christmas Eve Children’s Offering, and special services such as Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, etc.
Administrative and Other
- Maintain the Children’s Ministry webpages with current information
- Direct and maintain proactive communication with staff providing relevant information for children’s ministry initiatives, updates and upcoming events
- Assist staff members by coordinating childcare for other ministries as needed
- Attend and participate in staff and parish meetings and retreats; including weekly staff meetings, bi-annual staff retreats, annual parish meeting, and supervisory meetings
To apply for this position please complete this form.
About Christ Church
Our mission is to build a community of fully devoted followers of Christ with a heart for Austin and the world, to the Glory of God.
We are an Anglican church in the heart of and serving the east Austin community. Christ Church is a member of C4SO: Church for the Sake of Others Diocese. Click here to learn more about our Anglican heritage.